Let Your Home Have Light, But Keep Troubles in Sight

Electrical Safety Tips at Home

  • Check electrical cords to ensure they don't have worn spots or frayed wires. Don't mend it—replace it! Homemade repairs are a common source of fires.
  • Use extension cords sparingly and only on a temporary basis. Too many appliances plugged into one cord causes overheating. Overheated wires start one of every six home fires.
  • Don't place power cords under carpets, rugs, or furniture. Also, never staple or nail cords to walls, baseboards, or other objects.
  • Keep flammable materials away from lamps and heaters. Place electric heaters away from areas where someone might trip and fall.
  • Place electrical appliances a safe distance from sinks and tubs.
  • Do not retrieve electrical products that fall in water. If you and the plug are dry, pull the plug—not the cord—from the outlet, or use the circuit breaker to shut off the power.
  • Inspect electrical outlets on a regular basis. Look for overheating, loose connections, and corrosion. Outlets that have loose-fitting plugs can cause a fire.
  • Never remove the third prong from a plug to make it fit a two-prong outlet. You could get a shock.
  • If an outlet or switch wall plate is hot to the touch, immediately shut off the circuit and have a professional check it.
  • Replace any missing or broken wall plates.
  • Install safety covers on all unused outlets so children can't play with them.
  • Use surge protectors to safeguard appliances and electronics.

Electrical Safety Tips Outside

  • If you see fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment, call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) immediately. Do not touch it or try to fix it yourself.
  • Stay away from transmission line towers, utility poles, substation fences, and any other facility marked with "Danger High Voltage" signs.
  • Do not use extension cords or other electrical products outdoors unless they are specified for outdoor use.
  • If an electrical product falls into water, don’t touch it. If you and the plug are both dry, pull the plug, not the cord, from the outlet. Or, use the circuit breaker to shut off the power.
  • Do not fly kites in areas with overhead power lines.
  • If a power line falls on your car while you're in it, don't get out. The car's rubber tires provide protective insulation. Honk your horn, call for help, and wait for first responders. Tell others to stay away from the car while you wait for help to arrive.
  • When using a ladder near overhead wires, stay back at least 10 feet, use only a fiberglass or wooden ladder, and do not let the ladder come in contact with the wires. Never use a metal ladder near overhead lines. If the ladder starts to fall into an overhead line, let it fall, and call us at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) immediately.
  • Keep outdoor outlets covered and dry between uses.